Pages

Sunday, 3 July 2016

Butterfly Dancing with Penny Black

Hi everyone and thanks for coming to visit today.

I was very lucky to be given the chance to be guest designer over at the Penny Black and More challenge where the theme this month is 'anything goes with a stamp'... so the perfect excuse for me to ink up one of my fabulous new Penny Black stamps. The one I've used is called 'Butterfly Dance' which I coloured with Promarkers and I used chalks for the background. I stamped a Clearly Besotted sentiment and then stuck the image to a linen effect card base. At this point I wasn't quite sure what to do with my card but then my eyes fell on some Tim Holtz 'crazy birds' that I'd got already coloured and cut and this little chappie decided to wander over and take a closer look at those butterflies dancing about. A Memory Box die-cut ladybird decided to get in the act too and after adding some die-cut letters (also from Memory Box) I had a father's day card for my Dad. Must admit that when I bought this stamp I didn't think of using it for a masculine card, but for a keen gardener I think it works.




I do hope you will come and join in the challenge and also be in with a chance to win some amazing prizes. A big thank you Penny Black and More for letting me join you this month.


I'd like to enter this card in the following challenges

The Artistic Stamper challenge 'all thing bright and beautiful'
The Craft Barn Two Weekly challenge 'butterflies'
That's Crafty challenge 'masculine'
Cupcake Inspirations challenge 'flowers'
and as I used snippets for the letters and ladybird I'm heading over to join in the fun at Pixie's Snippets Playground challenge


I actually got round to trying out my new Crafters Companion Gemini electric die-cutter yesterday.
First off I ran a couple of embossing folder through it and then cut some dies - okay so far and great not having to crank a handle, but when I tried to emboss a die it cut the embossing mat. Now I'm not sure if this was a machine fault or just a substandard embossing mat, but the Grand Calibur embossing mat I've got has been well used for at least 5 years and is still in great condition.

So we boxed up the machine and Hubby took it to the local Hobbycraft store where the manager told him I'd used it incorrectly and should have placed the die face down. So when hubby phoned and told me I said show her the instruction booklet where it clearly states the die is face up and I'd layered exactly as stated. He duly went back into the store and on arriving back home (with the Gemini)  told me she insists it's my fault the die had cut the mat and there is absolutely no fault with the machine or embossing mat and they weren't prepared to do anything about it. Of course the first thing I did was send an email to their customer service and I'm just waiting to see if I get a reply.

I know I've probably just been unlucky but now I really wish I'd gone for the Tattered Lace Big Blue electric die-cutter  AND I definitely will not be spending another penny in Hobbycraft.... not even on a pack of glue dots.


26 comments:

  1. You have made a really pretty card with the new PB image Andrea (on my wish list) and your choice of colours are prefect to give it the feel of a summer meadow.

    Many thanks for being our Guest Designer at Penny Black and More.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous card - love the flowers, bird and sentiment.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card Andrea and I just LOVE this stamp, will have to look out for it over yonder here ....xx {aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful card Andrea and loving the coloring. So happy you joined us as a guest designer at Penny Black and More!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty card Andrea. The flowers look so delicate and I really like how you've coloured the bird to match the background. It looks great. Interesting to hear about the customer service at Hobbycraft. I've only bought the occasional stamp from there as I find them to be quite expensive but I will definitely think twice now before buying anything from them that could break. Have a lovely week. Sandra :) X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card andrea...clever use of the crazy bird too! As for your Gemini...I would e-mail Crafters Companion re there advice.Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet card! All those delicate flowers are colored just perfectly. The crazy bird is such a fun addition to your card as well. Thanks so much for joining the Cupcake Inspirations challenge #365. Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty card Andrea, a lovely background and fabulous design.
    Have you tried phoning Crafter's Companion and telling them what has happened? I know you didn't buy your Gemini from them but it is their product.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, love that stamp and the subtle blue background and the crazy bird just adds the final touch to a perfect card.
    Very strange I went to a demo on Saturday at out local craft shop and she was using a Gemini and I thought it was great the way it was just fed through with no handle turning involved but there was just something that put me off it , glad there was that something now.
    Hope customer service comes up trumps for you.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for being our GDT and making this fab card, I love it. So sorry to hear about your Gemini hope you get it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww...I love the crazy bird stamp! You made a fantastic background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous card Andrea - I bet your Dad loved it! I must check back through your blog to see how he's doing as the lasyt I knew he was in hospital. Wonderful how you mixed the flowers and a razy Bird so well - plus the little ladybird too! And, one touch that really is very clever is how you added the letters DAD in white against white! It just looks so elegant.

    Hmmm, Hobbycraft. Not a favourite store of mine I confess although I will use them if I need something in a hurry - but will avoid all the more after reading about your experience. I think that the suggestion of contacting Crafters Companion directly is a good one - one part of me would be cross enough to march into Hobbycraft and get them to try the machine out for themselves though. I don't know anything about the Gemini but a wild guess from me is that the pressure isn't calibrated wrongly and you need a replacement machine! Good luck chick - let me know if you need me to come and wave a banner outside the store!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, meant to say that the pressure IS calibrated wrongly! xx Parsnip is jumping up and down at the thought of joining in a demonstration :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is the perfect card for a gardener and i bet your dad loved it; i love the typeface of the die cut letters and the bird makes it a fun card too. thank you so much for joining us as a guest designer this month at penny black and more!
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope customer service sorts out your issue as I know these machines can be expensive...and they should provide good value for your dollars!

    Your card is perfect for a gardener. Love that cheeky little bird too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope customer service sorts out your issue as I know these machines can be expensive...and they should provide good value for your dollars!

    Your card is perfect for a gardener. Love that cheeky little bird too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooo am loving that new PB stamp, am loving how you have added the cheeky little bird too.

    I hope you get your machine sorted and thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More this month, as our guest designer, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Cupcake Inspirations, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely and fun card, I like the delicate colouring! Thank you for joining Cupcake Inspirations challenge this week!
    Kamila DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Appalling customer service from HC - well done for boycotting them in future! Sorry you are not happy with your new machine. Hopefully the manufacturer will be more helpful and at the very least, send you a new mat!

    GORGEOUS card you've made here.

    Hugs, Sandra Stamping For Pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute! Thank you for joining us at Cupcake Inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a great little card. I wouldn't have thought that floral stamp would make a great masculine card either, but you sure made a believe in me. I love you soft your coloring is and all the elements just worked so nicely together. Thank you for joining us at Cupcake Inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is definitely a perfect card for any gardener! Love the flowers and that cute bird! So glad you were inspired by this week's flowers challenge at Cupcake Inspirations!
    Debbie, DT Sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great way to transform flowers into a masculine card with the addition of the crazy bird. Your colouring: WOW! Thank you for sharing your creativity at Cupcake Inspirations!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a beautiful card, love this bird ! thank you so much for sharing it with us at The Artistic Stamper
    WIshing you good luck to win beautiful stamps and hope to see you again over at The Artistic Stamper !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message. I do appreciate it and love reading them all. If by chance you get an undelivered message please ignore it as I DO GET YOUR COMMENTS and think it may just be hotmail and outlook doing silly things.