Pages

Sunday, 7 June 2015

A Rose by any other name

What's in a name? that which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.

Okay so I admit to liking Shakespeare and when faced with a challenge theme of 'your favourite flower and why' I almost gave up immediately as I have so many favourites... until that line from 'Romeo and Juliet' came to mind. One thing I will not do is have flowers in the house as I would much rather see them growing just as they will outside - that is apart from the occasional rose I will take from my Dad's garden as the smell is so wonderful. For that reason alone I guess my favourite flower would have to be the rose.

The paper is a magazine freebie called 'Edwardian Diary of a Country Lady' and I cut and layered a second sheet on top, carefully lining up the design. I cut the Clearly Besotted stamp with QuicKutz nesting dies and  I used a Cheery Lynn die for the butterfly. The flowers, ribbon and gems are all from my stash. Finally I added a little touch of Stickles glitter to the butterfly and roses.


and this one shows the touch of glitter a little better

I shall enter this in the following challenges

As You Like It challenge 'favourite flower and why'
That's Crafty challenge 'all that glitters'
In The Pink challenge 'things with wings'
Creatalicious challenge 'butterflies'
Ladybug Crafts challenge 'use your dies'
Scrapy Land challenge 'anything goes using any brand of die Scrapy Land sells'
Papertake Weekly challenge 'anything goes' (my second entry'

and as I used snippets of card for my die cuts and a snippet of ribbon I'm heading over to play in Pixie's Snippets Playground where Miss Di challenges to use up our snippets.

Thanks for taking the time to pop by today and I hope you enjoy what's left of your weekend. I'm getting a bit behind with my visits but will hopefully catch up with you all over the next couple of days.

18 comments:

  1. Stunning card! I love the paper you used and the way you layered your card! Beautiful flowers too! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenge #19!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post takes me back to my Dad's garden Andrea, he grew lovely roses and had a pergola over the front garden path covered in pink Albertine roses, the smell was always amazing. When his health deteriorated and he came here to live with me he took lots of cuttings and two are growing really well. The other thing that came with him were violets.

    Here I am gabbling on, your rose card is a delight and looking at it I can smell Dad's Albertines, the first are just showing colour.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 2 toned roses look so pretty
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful card Andrea, such pretty papers and lovely layered design.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely elegant design and the layered DP looks fab :-)
    Thanks for playing along with us at In The Pink!
    Hugs, Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous card Andrea, love the pretty papers and fab layout
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow and double wow Andrea. This is such a fabulous card - a perfect design and so beautifully made. I adore roses and will sometime bring one in from the garden for the scent too!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wholeheartedly agree with all the other comments about how lovely this card is.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This i s so pretty, Kanda!Love the papers and the pretty design. The ribbon wrapped on the topper portion is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Andrea, so very pretty, love it!
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. I never have cut flowers in the house for that reason either. Love the backing paper and the colour of course. Hugs Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your background papers are just lovely. The two-toned roses are beautiful. Wonderful card. Hugs, joann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely floral paper, and Roses are probably my fav flower too. Again, I love seeing fresh flowers in the house, but we seldom do it. They don't last long cut, but sometimes DH will cut some & put in a little vase. The varieties that we have - are not long stems. I love the very realistic multi color dimensional roses you've added to this pretty card. Love the layout you used as well. TFS & Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card, so feminine! Those flowers look amazing and I love your paper and ribbon! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful card, I love the gorgeous two tone roses and they go so well with the pretty background paper. I like the touches of sparkle you added as well.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice , and so very pretty too, thank you for sharing with us at Creatalicious, Jackie DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely card!
    Thank you soo much for taking part in our "Butterfly” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
    Hope to see you again in our next challenge as well…

    Hugs,
    Melanie
    (DT Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges)
    (DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)
    (DT Come and Get It)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely card so pretty! Thanks for joining in with our challenge at As You Like It,
    hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message. I do appreciate it and love reading them all. If by chance you get an undelivered message please ignore it as I DO GET YOUR COMMENTS and think it may just be hotmail and outlook doing silly things.