Pages

Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Nostalgic Christmas

It's my Dads birthday today and he's a great 94 years young so I count myself a very lucky daughter to have him around and in such good shape too. He's still making all his knitted toys and scarves and as well as getting pleasure from his hobby he gives away what he makes to friends and family and also for fundraising so giving pleasure to others.

 Anyway we were sitting this afternoon chatting about christmasses past and how things have changed. We never had long lists of things we wanted Santa to bring us - in fact if we went to visit him in his Grotto there would be no mention of expensive toys and we just promised to be good in the hope of waking up on christmas morning to the sight of brightly wrapped presents and the all important stocking containing apple, orange, nuts and chocolates etc. The kids of today would have such a shock and probably be quite disgusted if they were suddenly transported back in time and saw what was at the bottom of my bed each christmas, but I was so happy. I can remember so many of those christmas days as if it was only yesterday and the joy I felt the year I received a new doll with rooted hair and another year when I got a scooter and even when I was older (after Santa) and I had my first Timex wristwatch and a 'What Katy Did' book.

But onto my card which reminds me of my favourite christmas film 'Miracle on 34th Street' and no matter which version you watch sums up christmas and Santa and all the magic. The decoupage image is from the Joanna Sheen Giordano christmas collection and is a more 'original' style Father Christmas with his jolly face and the toys he is delivering. I kept to a CAS design and just added a peel-off sentiment.


I shall enter this in the following challenges
Country View challenge 'nostalgic christmas'
As You Like It challenge 'favourite film or song and why'
That's Crafty challenge 'all about face'
Crafty Cardmakers and More challenge 'christmas'
Sparkles Monthly challenge 'the big guy (Santa)' my 2nd entry

I know it's a busy time of the year so I appreciate you popping by to visit and all your lovely comments.

6 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous card Andrea, I love the vintage Santa image.
    I can remember a Christmas stocking with an orange, apple and some chocolate if we were lucky - I don't quite know why my boys would think if I gave them the same, perhaps I'll give it a try and find out!
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very sweet and nostalgic post, Andrea. I enjoyed it very much. God bless your dear old Dad! And your card is so very pretty!! That's one of my very favorite movies, too!! I especially liked when the two department stores would help each other out. Another thing that would be shocking to young people today and more's the pity! Happy Holiday Hugs! Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Santa image and fab film choice Andrea. Thanks for sharing over on AYLI. Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it's a lovely card. Thanks for joining in the fun at Sparkles Monthly Forum. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous traditional style card.

    Thanks for sharing with us. Happy Christmas

    Lin
    Crafty Cardmakers and More

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perfect Andrea, a lovely traditional Christmas card. I hope your Dad had a very happy birthday. Thank you so much for taking part in our challenge at Country View Crafts, and Merry Christmas. Sue x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message. I do appreciate it and love reading them all. If by chance you get an undelivered message please ignore it as I DO GET YOUR COMMENTS and think it may just be hotmail and outlook doing silly things.